This web site is maintained by a group of individuals and NGOs with common interest in Ukraine and Kyiv in particular. We are currently campaigning for the proper spelling of the Capital of Ukraine, which is Kyiv of course.
You can join us and sign our letter to The Economist or contact any other company that is still using wrong spelling “Kiev”.
We strongly encourage all supporters to call for various actions, e.g., fixing Wikipedia.
Please, find an example of a letter we have submitted to various companies, WizzAir being one of them. Please allow the companies one month to change, else please post it on this or partnering websites and we will contact them too.
Please correct UEFA, for the misspelling, send them a letter and a fax too.
Strong arguments in favour of Kyiv spelling in English language:
- Ukrainian government insists on Kyiv spelling
- The State Department of the U.S. issued a directive to write Kyiv
- The Prime Minister of the U.K. calls the city Kyiv and the British Ambassador to Ukraine supports Kyiv spelling too
- United Nations in its Multilingual Terminology Database (the ultimate body on geographical names) approved it as Kyiv and put it as Kyiv on their map
- Major English speaking governments worldwide switched to Kyiv spelling
- CIA refers to the city as Kyiv
- The name of the famous football club is Dynamo Kyiv
- Many papers, e.g., British The Guardian, are already writing Kyiv
- All major Canadian media already use the spelling of Kyiv
- It is Kyiv on Google and MSN
- Also read more about “Kyiv versus Kiev” on Kyiv.com
- And many more …
Don’t look at the past, look at the future. You will see Kyiv there.
To read the posts and supporting documents, please, browse “Archives” tab on your right. >>>